Dangers of a Leaking Roof
Often homeowners put roof repairs at the bottom of the list. They don’t consider it as urgent and rather focus on other damages in the house. While you are busy repainting your walls and fixating the hole in the wall, water is slowly but steadily dripping into the insulation and making its way into other areas of the house.
You might have smelled a musty type of odor permeating the house, which probably is because of the leaking roof. A roof can last for 20 to 25 years and some for 50 years. It is the most neglected area of the house. Insects and animals such as birds or rats dying, standing rain water, loose asphalt and more; any one of these can be the reason behind the weakening foundation of the roof.
Let’s have a look at the top three dangers of a leaking roof:
A damaged roof creates a path way for the water to enter the house. When the water first slowly drips into the attic is when the damage starts. As the water collects, some of it makes its way into the walls and the spot where it had collected becomes weak. Mold develops and gives off a bad odor, which you smell every time you enter the house.
Over time, the roof and attic frame starts to sag and you see paint peeling off the walls. Spongy and water-filled patches form on the walls leaving dirty streaks behind. The damage becomes visible slowly, which is why most homeowners notice it too late. At this point, the repair costs thousands of dollars.
Shock and Fire Hazard
Your mobile just flashed “Battery Low”, so you picked up your charger and plugged it into the socket. As soon as you turned on the switch, you received a throwing shock. Your body is now alive and trembling. You look dazed at your hands and then at the socket. The charger now makes a weird sound and then a loud burst is heard. The charger falls to the ground in two pieces and totally burned to black.
Do you still think roof maintenance is not important? This is what those small drops of water seeping into your walls can do. This could have also resulted in fire if the appliance plugged in was large and require more voltage. At a time like this, immediately cut main power line and call an electrician.
As mold develops in the areas where the water leaked, the insulation throughout the house becomes loose and forms clumps. This damage is more visible, as you will feel the HVAC system not doing its job properly. The energy bills will rise and you will feel the house getting colder. As the mold will grow, the atmosphere in the house will become polluted. You will have difficulty in breathing, which can cause severe respiratory problems.
The signs of damage can be first spotted in the attic. If you enter the attic and feel the air a little humid with a musty smell, then call a roofer immediately. As he inspects the roof, tell the electrician to check every socket in the house to make sure they are not a hazard.
If you have any questions, we are here to help.