What is the difference between Roof Certifications and Home Inspections?
Fix My Roof, the best roofers in Santa Fe, discuss the differences between roof inspections and home inspections when you are buying or selling a home.
The roof is one of the most essential and expensive components of a home. A home inspection doesn’t thoroughly assess the full state of your roof’s health and may miss crucial structural and material warnings.
The results of the roof inspection report allows buyers to negotiate the asking price or decide to vacate the purchase deal. On the other hand, a roof inspection report may allow sellers to hold firm on their asking price
A roof inspector should be a professional roofing contractor who will carefully assess your roof’s structure, materials, and workmanship. Fix My Roof provides these quality roof inspections. Our roofers are fully trained professionals. We are licensed, bonded, and insured by the State of New Mexico.
Home inspectors report the overall soundness of a home. They provide a general visual inspection of the roof, but they aren’t required to get up on the roof! As professional roofing contractors, Fix My Roof fully inspects every corner and aspect of the roof. We remove debris, snow, or ice that may obstruct assessment.
We are also able to take a core sample and verify the number of roofing layers. We will go up on the roof to check for signs of older leaks, including inside and on ceilings, and in the roof’s ventilation itself. For adobe homes where there are canales, often made of wood covered by nailed metal, we thoroughly check for signs of rust and water damage from compromised canales.
A home inspection report is a visual and general look at the roof whereas a full roof inspection is a comprehensive, very specific inspection that provides you with a detailed report of the examination.
What is a roof certification and how does it help sell your house?
A roof certification is a document provided by a qualified roof inspector confirming that the roof has been inspected and, if necessary, repaired. Fix My Roof is a licensed roofing contractor and we provide a roof certification with our inspection of the home’s roofing system. This is necessary for homeowner insurance purposes as well as to help sell your home, providing both you and the buyer peace of mind.
The cost of the certification is worth it for sellers who want to reassure buyers that the roof will remain in good condition for the near future. This can be especially important to help buyers feel more comfortable with purchasing a home with an older roof.
It’s a good idea to get the roof inspection and certification before you list your home. If a buyer believes that the roof will need expensive repairs, then they will most likely ask for a price reduction due to the potential roof costs. You may want to make any necessary repairs that are noted in the inspection certificate before putting your house on the market. Knowing the value and health of the roof is extremely useful for both the seller and buyer when entering purchase negotiations.
Paying for both a home and a roof inspection is a relatively small cost compared to roof repair costs. A roof inspection certificate provides you with peace of mind in that you know the health of the roof, one of the most expensive components of a home, before selling or buying your home.
What is the difference between pre-sell and pre-buy roof inspections?
Pre-sell inspections are simple in that the owner has already hired Fix My Roof to inspect their roof. The owner wants to put the house on the market and make sure that their house looks good to prospective new owners. The roof inspection is in the owner’s best interests.
For a pre-buy inspection, we must have the written consent from the owner to inspect the roof for the buyer. For the buyer, this roof inspection report serves as leverage in negotiating the price of the home.
What can you expect to receive from our roof certification?
Our roofing certificate will report at the very least the following details:
- Thermographics evaluation
- Any movement of the roof or roofing materials
- The condition of the roof and its parts, be they asphalt shingles or foam and silicone membrane. For flat roofs, how many layers and what type
- The condition of the flashing around roof vents, antennas, pipes, valleys, chimneys, and HVAC mountings
- The condition of roof ridges, metal drip edges, and roof caps for ventilation
- Note the performance of canales, drains, gutters, and downspouts
- Estimate the lifespan left on the roof
- Note whether any repairs are required and specify them
- Determine whether the existing manufacturer’s warranty is valid and transferable to a new buyer
- Verify that any roof maintenance and repairs were done in accordance with the terms of the workmanship and materials warranty, so that a potential buyer is covered
The roof certification document details the roof’s condition and lifespan. It is typically valid for two to five years after the date of inspection.
Why is Fix My Roof the best roofing contractor to use for your pre-sell or pre-buy roof inspection?
Fix My Roof is passionate about roofs – roofs are time capsules which truly reveal the evolution of our dwellings!
Fix My Roof installs and repairs asphalt shingle roofs, metal roofing, foam roofing, silicone, and TPO roofing, specializing in both pitched roofs and flat roofs. We are fully licensed, bonded, and insured by the State of New Mexico.
- We have decades of experience installing residential roofs in New Mexico and the surrounding states.
- Fix My Roof is owned by a professional roofing contractor who first began his business after being an insurance adjuster and built it into the company that it is today. He is someone who has hands-on roofing experience and cares about his customers.
- Our Green Shingle Recycling Program: When we replace shingle roofs, we do not send the worn-out shingles to the dump; we dispose of them in a green manner through our shingle recycle program.
- Sustainable and energy-efficient practices: Our team at Fix My Roof is mindful of our environment and we proudly partner with other local energy-efficient companies to source materials and to help your home be green.
With passion, enthusiasm, and pride for the roofing products we use and the quality of our workmanship, we always stand behind our work and our clients.
A pre-sell or pre-buy roof inspection will save you money in the long run whether you are the seller or the buyer of the home. We will make the most thorough examination of any roof and provide our expert assessment in a detailed roof certification for you as either the seller or the buyer.
Contact us today for your pre-sell or pre-buy roof inspection!
Call Fix My Roof for the best roofers in Santa Fe: (505) 919-8011